This video has to be one of the earliest videos I remember seeing with clear Female Power / Female Supremacist imagery and themes running throughout. I remember seeing it first at about the same time i hit puberty, or about the same time i began to see girls** as G-I-R-L-S. To this day i still remember it pushing all of my submissive buttons. Now of course for me adolescence was the time when i became aware of Girls Mysterious Feminine Powers (but that's a subject for another post) and the images in this video combined with the song lyrics ran over and over in my mind like an audiovisual mantra. The video is broken into several scenes so I'll highlight the ones that touch me most deeply.
- i love the early scene where the beret wearing girl struts down the steps towards a waiting male. She seduces him, pushing him down over the table so he is under Her and under Her spell. She then tosses him aside like the toy he is. Later She is seen dancing with him, then rejecting him once and for all, for which She gives a victory pose and a high kick of Her shoe in his direction.
- In another scene a man, the supposed hero, opens the coffin of a Female vampire in a kind of reverse Snow White scene. She immediately fixes him with Her eyes, he becomes enthralled by Her beauty. She then draws him close...and plants her fangs in his neck. She is then seen dancing ecstatically back towards her coffin. One assumes to lie in wait for Her next male victim.
- Another scene opens with a Female bat like entity opening Her vast wings to reveal a group of (near) naked males cowering under Her. As they awaken they begin to encircle Her in a worshipful dance.
- my absolute favorite scene though has to be the one i call the whip scene. It opens with a flash of light and smoke, revealing (again, i sense a theme here) a group of (near) naked males lying on the ground who are awakened by the presence of a beautiful She-Devil above them. In the opening scene She firmly holds a whip in Her hand! The males begin to reach out for Her, trying desperately to grab onto what, in this version of hell, they crave but can never have. The first time I saw this I thought the imagery beyond cool, the latex Devil suit, the oiled up muscular males glistening in the light wearing just thongs, their bare ass cheeks visible. The males also have straps around their wrists which i always assumed were a substitute for chains but the chains were nixed by the censors. My sense that this video was subject to some censorship is reinforced when we return to this sequence a little later in the video and the whip has mysteriously vanished. I assume the original intention was to have the She-Devil crack the whip on these males. Too bad, that would have been wonderful to see. Nevertheless this scene has to be one of the earliest music videos in which males are presented purely as sex objects. Pretty hot. Their virtual nudity and submissive postures/positions relative to the Female characters leave little doubt about the sexual objectification of these guys. Clearly this seems like a case of the girls getting a little revenge on the guys when you consider how many male 80's acts showed oiled up Women in cages in their videos. Clearly Bananarama were sending a not at all subtle message here. The scene ends with the males finally reaching Her and holding Her aloft like a Queen or Goddess
** i humbly apologize for using a lower case g here. i of course mean Girls. i just wanted to emphasize the dramatic transformation that occurred within me at that time.
Here are the lyrics ;
Goddess on the mountain top
Burning like a silver flame
The summit of beauty and love
And Venus was her name
She's got it
Yeah, baby, she's got it
I'm your Venus, I'm your fire
At your desire
Well, I'm your Venus, I'm your fire
At your desire
Her weapons were her crystal eyes
Making every man a man
Black as the dark night she was
Got what no one else had
Ow
She's got it
Yeah, baby, she's got it
I'm your Venus, I'm your fire
At your desire
Well, I'm your Venus, I'm your fire
At your desire
(Venus)
She's got it
Yeah, baby, she's got it
I'm your Venus, I'm your fire
At your desire
Well, I'm your Venus, I'm your fire
At your desire
Goddess on the mountain top
Burning like a silver flame
The summit of beauty and love
And Venus was her name
She's got it
Yeah, baby, she's got it
I'm your Venus, I'm your fire
At your desire
Well, I'm your Venus, I'm your fire
At your desire
(Venus was her name)
[Repeat: x8]
Yeah baby she's got it
Burning like a silver flame
The summit of beauty and love
And Venus was her name
She's got it
Yeah, baby, she's got it
I'm your Venus, I'm your fire
At your desire
Well, I'm your Venus, I'm your fire
At your desire
Her weapons were her crystal eyes
Making every man a man
Black as the dark night she was
Got what no one else had
Ow
She's got it
Yeah, baby, she's got it
I'm your Venus, I'm your fire
At your desire
Well, I'm your Venus, I'm your fire
At your desire
(Venus)
She's got it
Yeah, baby, she's got it
I'm your Venus, I'm your fire
At your desire
Well, I'm your Venus, I'm your fire
At your desire
Goddess on the mountain top
Burning like a silver flame
The summit of beauty and love
And Venus was her name
She's got it
Yeah, baby, she's got it
I'm your Venus, I'm your fire
At your desire
Well, I'm your Venus, I'm your fire
At your desire
(Venus was her name)
[Repeat: x8]
Yeah baby she's got it
Wow, just saw this post. This song made my "top played song" list on my iPod. It is a rather good workout song due to the beat. But I agree, the main reason I like it is the female dominance. I was considering adding this to my "sexy music" blog (I intended to do a series but have only made one post). Very sexy video.
ReplyDeleteAnother more subtle 80s femdom song is "I Love Rock and Roll". I was coming of age during this period, so I was too naiive to figure it out. It is seemingly just a song about a girl who likes rock and roll... but it goes into a woman picking up - and presumably using for sex - an underaged boy. Very racy if you think about it, kind of a role reversal.